Hanoi Street Food Part 1

Dealing with Hanoi during the day can be a total pain in the ass. Traffic is heavy and the sky is always a crappy gray colour, presumably because of the traffic.
While the city tends to go to bed early, from sunset till 11pm Hanoi is at it's best.
Now that my stomach has returned to normal function (it seemed I suffered from slow digestion because of the switch from rich, braised French style dishes using mostly animal fats to Thai style stir-fried dishes in poor quality palm oils). I bravely stroll into busy food stall and just eat whatever is given to me.


"Little Pillows" from the spring roll stand
I read about these on blog to which I will later post a link.
This cost a whopping 6,000 Dong.

The bun stand. It was hard to find a seat so I knew it was good.

Chopping up the pork hock for the noodle soup.

After suffering from a cold worsened by
train and plane A/C. This bowl of soup did my soul good.

After the Bun stand I made my way to a busy corner where locals were chowing down on bags of sunflower seeds washed down with cold lemon tea. I opted for a beer and sat with the only two other white people there. They left shortly after I arrived, so I sat there soaking in the atmosphere. I was almost done my beer when the corner shop was broken up (not in the violent sense) by the police. I had to hide inside the shop with a few locals while we waited for the police to leave. I would have taken a photo but most people left and the cops were still hanging around the area, breaking up other tea joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment